Monday, March 9, 2009

Watchmen


Saturday night I saw the highly anticipated movie Watchmen. I really enjoyed it.  Not everyone I went with felt the same way though.

Here are the few cons I have heard from people so far. Its about 2 hours and 45 minutes long. The movie is also all over the place as it tries to tell its story through an interweaving path of past and present using retrospective flashbacks.  

Before I mention all the things I liked I just wanted to point out that this movie is based on a graphic comic strip series/novel.  Zack Snyder, who also directed another graphic novel known to everyone as 300, supposedly used the comics as his bible for making this flick. He did the best job he could to interest your average movie-goer, while still trying to satisfy the comic afficionado that will be sure to knit-pic every detail of the movie.  Synder also made sure he didn't pull any punches with blood and gore.  The comic was filled with fighting, blood, and sex.......so that's how the movie goes as well.  The action sequences are amazing, filmed with that 300 and Matrix style of mixing stop-action photography with real-time frames to make even the smallest detail of the fight choreography seen by the audience.  

As for the long running time, I can see how some people could get a little agitated after sitting in the same place for so long, but for me the time flew by. The beginning starts a little slow for a few minutes as they introduce the characters and some of the back story, but they make up for it.

 I really love talking about it, but I definitely don't want to give anything away for those who have not seen it. I will just say that I like that they are able to make a super-hero movie that is a little different than the rest. Are they heroes? Are they vigilantes?  I can promise you one thing though, the movie will not go to where you think it is taking you.  

Will it win an Oscar? Not in one of the major categories, but it definitely is a visual and auditory cinematic experience to see.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

Brownman said...

Glad you iked it, I have been itching to see it since I first aw the preview during Batman. Going to Imax to see it, hopefully soon!

Ryan said...

Thats the way to see it for sure. Let me know what you think.