Thursday, September 4, 2008

Forget the Presidency.....There's a More Important Debate!!

Man-Vs.-Wild    OR    Survivorman

For me, it's not really a debate at all. Survivorman is by far the better of the two survival technicians. But follow me here....let's take a different direction with this one. I am actually going to tell you some cool stuff about Bear Grylls. 

First,  he has an awesome name.  I love Bears. And I love grilling things.  

Next....let's look at some of the cool things he has accomplished (thanks to IMDB):  
1) Served in British Special Air Services (I know nothing about them, but they sound badass)
2)He has climbed Mount Everest
Now I have done a lot of research about this intrepid mountain and I know this is no little feat!!! For this I tip my hat.
3)In June 2005, He broke a world record by hosting a dinner party at a table suspended below a hot air balloon at 24,500 feet.
-I mean it was about time. We all flirted with this record...thinking we would be the ones to break bread amongst the clouds....but Bear.....He is a DO-ER!!!
4)He led the first unassisted crossing of the frozen North Atlantic Ocean, in an open, rigid, inflatable boat! 
-Carnival Cruise Lines, I believe, has now expanded their vacation options to include this very same voyage. Who comes up with these challenges??
5) Finally, he owns his own island on the Welsh coast, which he keeps as a nature reserve, and lives on a converted barge wife his wife and kids, Jesse and Marmaduke.
-His name is Marmaduke. You don't mess with Marmaduke. 

Now I do have to say there are quite a few things about Man vs. Wild that bother me and keep me from becoming a true fan. Most importantly, it always seems like Bear just got back from the local Motel 6 to start filming.  Secondly, he takes the most ridiculously complex approach to EVERYTHING.   You could walk down the snowy mountain, slide on your rear end, figure something out. Nope, not Bear. He finds an animal to kill so he can skin the hide and prepare it as a sled.  And the eating!! Oh, the eating!!! Now why is it so important that he eat raw sheep heart? He just got the thing of a nasty Irish Bog and he decides the best coarse of action is to eat raw sheep heart. Myself, I would cook up a little meat.

I am too tired right now to discuss the pros for Survivorman, but basically.......It's just a dude with a camera and a smile.  He says drop me here and I will see you in 5 days. 



No comments: